commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Operation Chariot Memorial Service in Falmouth 3rd October 2009  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

If you are in the area you may want to visit this one:

The Royal Navy frigate HMS Chatham will make a high profile visit to the port next month when the St Nazaire Society commemorates the daring raid carried out by British forces on the St Nazaire dry dock in March 1942 when the destroyer HMS Campbeltown rammed the dock gates.

On Saturday, October 3, a parade will leave the Moor for the Prince of Wales pier where a memorial service will be held. Falmouth?s mayor Geoffrey Evans, will host a top delegation from St Nazaire that will include the city?s mayor Monsieur J.Batteaux.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This service took place and here is the link to the entry on Jim Dorrian's Chariot Heroes blogspot. Particular note should be made of the last paragraph about Dr and Mrs Bill Watson.
http://chariot-heroes.blogspot.com/

Bill was a Lieutenant in 1 Troop of No.2 Commando at St Nazaire. He was later to be awarded the Military Cross. I am aware there are pictures in books of Bill and others. However it would be improper to use them without consent of individuals or their relatives. Jim Dorrian is kindly helping me in trying to obtain this. I intend to write more about Bill as , like John Roderick, he took his first steps towards a life in medicine, whilst a Prisoner of War. He was known as "Tiger" Watson. How he came to be given this nickname in itself is a good story.
Now, it is explained in the book Storming St Nazaire, but who can remember without having to look it up. Honesty is expected. No prizes for the winner though.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger