commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No. 3 Commando 4 Troop  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have been provided with a newspaper cutting of a troop picture already posted in the No.3 Commando Gallery originally provided by Steve Lewis. The good news is that the newspaper cutting printed all the names and absentees, dated the picture, and provided the troop number. I have now updated the gallery picture accordingly which can be seen on this link:

**** edited 29/9/14 by PR: link to gallery changed...Click HERE to view the image.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 29/09/2014 17:59:44

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Our very own Roy Cubitt and Freddy Walker (both CVA) in the back rows.

Regards

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
steve lewis
Forum Member

Could not believe my eyes- fantastic. When I saw name shown and even the absentees. My Dad, William Lewis is in the middle and I recognise several lads who I can now put names to in other photographs which is a great thing in itself. By D-Day he was moved to 3-troop and is shown in Stan Scotts book training in Brick Lane. he survived Vaagso, Dieppe, Termoli and D-Day. Another group photo posted in the last two weeks taken in Italy shows him again with 4-troop looking older and leaner. I have never seen the pic before and it is very moving-its been a good few weeks!
I have a few questions however-what was the name of the newspaper and where was the photo taken?.

You are doing great work and I will post some more pics soon.

stephen
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Steve

I thought you might like the update with names. Regretfully I am unable to help at this stage with either of your questions. The cutting itself has been precisely cut so as not to reveal anything but the picture and names, and is firmly glued to cardboard so I cannot see the reverse. However I will call Ron and see if he recalls anything. If I find anything out I will post it here.

Regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/09/2009 09:24:19

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Sam North
Forum Member

I believe my Grandfather is in this image but the link is now corrupt, is it possible to re-upload it? or if at all possible send me a copy of the photograph?
Many thanks,
Sam.

A young photographer who's grandfather served in 3 Commando during the war and I am trying to find out some more information.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Sam

We have a better resolution photo provided since the earlier one described at the beginning of this forum. All the names are included below. There is a "North" in there and you can see his face clearly when you click the full photo to full size. Let us know if it is him.

No.3 Commando 4 troop June 1942

[Email]
Sam North
Forum Member

sorry, I should clarify.
I have seen the image in the photo archives and have downloaded a copy of that image but it would be nice to have a copy of the image in the context of the news paper clipping.
If I could have a scan of the newspaper clipping that would be great.

A young photographer who's grandfather served in 3 Commando during the war and I am trying to find out some more information.

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger