commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Vaagso / Stavne visit  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Andy Miles
Forum Member

I've finally had a chance to sort through my photos from my recent visit to Maloy and Stavne cemetary (Trondheim) so here are a selection for you to enjoy and a brief report. I do have more photos including all the headstones at Stavne and each cross I placed if anyone would like to see more

I was in Maloy on the trail of my Nan's brother who died there (Geear). We arrived in Maloy and headed straight to the memorial. There are remains of the German gun emplacements on the island and the memorial stands at the highest point. Whilst the memorial is in good condition, sadly the spotlights trained on it had been broken and the flowers beds that are part of it were becoming overgrown (I will write to the kommune). I placed a rememberance cross for each commando (incl M Linge) and one on behalf of the CVA plus flowers on behalf of my Nan after some gardening to tidy up
The next day we were lucky enough to talk to and be shown round Maloy by some Norwegians who had an interest in local history. Along with a map I had we think we pin pointed where Geear fell in the fighting.
It then took a 28hr boat trip to then get to Trondheim. Those buried at Maloy after the raid were subsequently re-buried at Stavne cemetary in Trondheim. Again we laid flowers on my Nan's behalf and a rememberance cross on each of the graves from those of 3 Commando
There is some text inserted amongst the photos

Maloy main St. The Ulvesund Hotel was on the left pretty much where the modern building now is. The park on the left is the Martin Linge memorial garden. The wall on the left before the white building on the right is new. This was a gap between building where Geear was shot leading his group towards the Ulevsund Hotel

This is where we believe Geear fell

Martin Linge memorial

6 graves of 3 Commando soldiers, Geear on the left.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Andy

Thanks for the pictures you have posted. I have created a sub album for Vaagso and Maaloy in the Commando Memorials and Plaques main album and placed a few of your pictures there. If you have other relevant photos that you would like to post in there please do so. The link to the albums page is here. Once there just scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see it:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Memorials+and+plaques/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/09/2009 23:48:13

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you Andy.

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

wow Andy brilliant photos Ive never seen modern pics of the area before. Fascinating . Good on ya ,mate

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Andy do you have a photo of Lance Sgt Geear that you would like included. If so post it here and I will update the No.3 Commando Gallery with it. If you have any technical problems with this contact me by private message or email and I will assist you

Regards

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Miles
Forum Member

Pete, As soon as I get a photo of L/Sgt Geear I'll scan it and make it available. I do also have photos of all the graves of the commandos at Trondheim and more of the Maloy memorial. When work is no longer getting the better of me I'll post them to the gallery

regards

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger