commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Information on German flag captured by my dad  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
robbie
Forum Member

Hi
I wonder if anyone can help me with some information. My name is Robbie, I am the son of Freddie Hughes who served from 1940-1945 with No. 9 commando. It was my dad who captured a German flag from a German headquarters in Italy 1944. He signed it got one or two others to sign it then decorated it with 9 commando Rothesay's own. After the war, he brought it home with him (I remember it when I was a little boy) I think it was in the late 50's or early 60's he loaned it out for an exhibition
and it got lost, he never saw it again. I know it was in one museum up near Fort William a few years ago, since then it was in a museum exhibition in Edinburgh Castle two or three years ago. If anyone from No.9 commando who are still with us if you remember my dad, the flag or if you also signed it, or know of its whereabouts now, I would love to hear from you, as I would love to see the flag again

my kindest regards to all

Robert Hughes
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Robbie

Many thanks for the photos you emailed me of your father and No.9 Commando which I will be posting in the CVA Galleries very soon. With regard to the flag, have you tried contacting The National War Museum, Edinburgh Castle Edinburgh, EH1 2NG. Tel. 0131 247 4413 whom I believe were responsible for the "Commando Country" display there which ran until the end of February last year. The flag as you say was displayed there

Regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/09/2009 23:29:03

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have now posted the pictures of Freddie Hughes and his fellow Commandos from No.9 in their Gallery. Thanks to his son Robbie for sending me them all. One of the pictures is a second photo of 3 Troop with vickers machine guns and mortars. Robbie - have you checkedour original picture to see if your dad is in it ?. I have included the picture of Freddie here as well as the gallery.

here is a link to one of the pictures (the 3 troop picture) Robbie sent me
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/9+Cdo+RH3.JPG.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
[Thumb - Freddie Hughes - No.9 Cdo..JPG]
 Filename Freddie Hughes - No.9 Cdo..JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 802 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  368 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 14/09/2009 16:05:57

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

I remember a while ago an American collector admitted that he has actually bought property from the collection of Edinburgh Castle. To be honest I think of all the veterans turning in their graves in disgust, Such items were not donated for resale they were donated to educate the youth of today.

I sincerely hope your flag is not one of the items that has been sold. One can only speculate. Sadly this is one of the hazards of donating items to a museum, No museum can honestly say it will be around forever. Donate at your own risk, this also applies to those people building 'displays'.

I sincerely hope you find your fathers flag. It took me three years before I was able to view my family medals from one regimental museum. As it happened it took a week to contact the man who was holding them, not at the museum premises but at his private dwelling. Unbelievable! Had he formed his own little medal collection from the museum holdings at no cost to his own pocket?

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 14/09/2009 21:53:32

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have to say I am astounded at what you say if it is true. The exhibition was at the National War Museum for Scotland which is based in Edinburgh Castle which is a highly reputable museum. I would like to know the details of the collector and the items he states he bought from there in order to report this matter. If the items were loaned for the display by a private benefactor/collector then that would be a different matter entirely and completely beyond the control of Scotlands National War Museum. I understand the frustration and disgust you must have felt with regard to your own situation. However there are many excellent museums such as the National War Museum for Scotland and the Imperial War Museum doing a fantastic job in storing and displaying items for the education of children, and other museums not just of a military nature. The issues with Regimental Museums is often the lack of space and funding. I know one such museum that will soon lose its building and has had to box up its collection. Sadly when this happens it is down to usually the one or two curators, generally advanced in years, who managed it, to try and find alternative funding. The difficulty there is that often they have personally spent many years collecting and displaying the items and are desparate to try and find alternative funding for a new location before inevitably giving the items to somewhere like the IWM when they cannot. There are obviously rogues out there in all walks of life but lets not tarnish all museums with the same brush. As far as displays are concerned my concern would be with the display at Spean Bridge. I know that some local people there are also concerned. However I am not sure what can be done. One resident put it simply " if there was a break in or a fire all that would be lost. There is no security ". You just have to read some books to see how people can take advantage of pictures. The internet is the perfect example. Extremely difficult to control and prevent misuse by others. That is why I have recently been working with Nick, Tarnia Townshend (daughter of Sylvia who is in the London branch of the CVA) and John Mewett to develop a form to be completed when people donate their photos or documents to the CVA. One of the things I stressed to John is that we must be open to people about the fact that their photo will be placed on the internet.
I look forward to receiving more information on the collector that you mentioned.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 15/09/2009 00:19:55

[Email]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Pete who exactly would you report the sale of artifacts too? The man who is selling them is a COLONEL of the British Army........he is in charge, It makes little point in reporting him to himself!!!

Secondly ALL MUSEUMS reserve the right to dispose of items donated to them as they see fit. If you donate to a regimental museum, your artifacts them become the property of the regiment. There is nothing illegal about selling artifacts. It is just highly unethical in our 'opinion'.

It is my opinion that if any items relating to Commandos are to be donated to a museum (assuming that there are no living 'interested' relatives) that they go to Spean Bridge and organisations such as this make sensible decisions in regards to who exactly who they appoint as trustees. There are sadly those people who like to involve themselves in museum circles who are nothing but profiteering crooks.

I am PMing you with a link to the thread Pete.

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at 15/09/2009 10:01:49

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Right I have made some enqs and I have traced the flag concerned. It has not been sold. I have also spoken with the National War Museum for Scotland who have been most helpful and, by the way, categorically stated that no items donated to them are sold. There are strict criteria they have to follow in order to achieve government funding but in anycase as they say it would be "unethical". The website you refer to in your pm refers to a regiment and the sale of collar buttons/badges not to the National War Museum of Scotland. As you rightly say most museums in their terms and conditions " reserve the right to dispose of items donated to them as they see fit". However for National Museums or government funded museums there are extra guidelines which quite frankly are so strict that in effect it makes it easier to keep the items. I should point out that the wording is used in the terms and conditions of most companies, schools, the BBC, ITV, etc etc where items are donated by members of the public. National Museums in Scotland have an acquisition and disposal policy for public viewing if you wish to view it. I am sure other major museums such as the IWM do likewise. If you feel that any individual within the Armed Services is selling items inappropriately then I would urge you to report the matter for investigation by the Military Police Authorities, or at least write a letter to the local MP for the area giving all the facts. I would go as far as letting the local press know but make sure the facts are correct as litigation can often result. I know i'll probably not change your opinion but lets at least agree to disagree on this question. I know of one man who has dedicated the last 40 years of his life to preserving the memory of his former regiment in their small regimental museum. I am sure there are others like him. Good people, as I am sure most are, with the occasional exception as in all walks of life.

Now the Flag ---- Its at the Clan Cameron Museum in Achnacarry. Still there. Not sold. Many of the artifacts for the Commando Country Exhibition at the National War Museum in Edinburgh Castle came from there. The museum curator tells me that although the museum is shown only open until October if you are in the area and want to view the items, give a little notice and they will open it up for you. They have a website

http://www.clan-cameron.org/museum.html

And if you are ever visiting Scotland I recommend the National War Museum at Edinburgh Castle

Regards to all - my final post on this matter

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 15/09/2009 11:38:18

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you Pete,
It's very good that this matter has been cleared up.
Some very quick investigatory work there - we'll make a detective out of you yet

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Excellent work Pete. I hope Robbie will be able to make arrange a viewing shortly.
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete ,Your an absolute marvel . Well done

SE Donnison
[MSN]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger