commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Information wanted on soldier from 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Robert Wilkison Latham
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Greeting from a New Boy!!!

I am hoping one or more of you may be able to help me with identifying the owner of a superb 1st pattern (wavy or 'S" guard) by Wilkinson Sword Co Ltd that I have acquired. It has been sharpened and possibly 'seen action'!

The only clues I have are as follows:
The initials WT are engraved/scratched into the blade at the hilt. I am pretty sure that the owner (the said W.T) was in 3 Commando (Army Commandos) as I bought it with two 3 commando shoulder flashed and a Commando Association label badge.

It came from a house clearance in Scotland on the death of a man whose initials were not WT. I have only been able to discover this fact. Perhaps his wife's father/brother/uncle was W.T?

I know it is a long-shot but if anyone knows then certainly it is you!

Many thanks for reading this and I hope one of you great men out there can identify W.T so he will get the recognition he deserves, which will be preserved with his knife and shoulder flashes.
Kindest regards
Robert Wilkinson Latham.

PS I can be contacted by direct email:
[email protected]

Robert
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Robert,

Certainly an interesting find, although, as you know, it may be a long shot trying to find any provenance for the dagger; however, a couple of photographs would be extremely interesting.

I noted your name with interest and presume that you're a descendant of 'Wilkinson & Son'?
If so, maybe we (The CVA) can benefit from your expert knowledge of all things Wilkinson and the FS Fighting Dagger?
for instance, please see this link:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/738.page

Thanks,
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/09/2009 15:07:53

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Robert Wilkison Latham
Forum Member
[Avatar]

NIC wrote:Hello Robert,

Certainly an interesting find, although, as you know, it may be a long shot trying to find any provenance for the dagger; however, a couple of photographs would be extremely interesting.

I noted your name with interest and presume that you're a descendant of 'Wilkinson & Son'?
If so, maybe we (The CVA) can benefit from your expert knowledge of all things Wilkinson and the FS Fighting Dagger?
for instance, please see this link:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/738.page

Thanks,
Nick

Nick
certainly more than pleased to help. Just off on 2 weeks holiday so will catch up with the Forum on my return.
yes, it was a long shot, but one never knows!!!
That is the joy of research
Kindest regards
Robert

Robert
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

First I must say I take great pleasure in creating this post. It is indeed a great honor to speak to such a distinguished gentleman.

In regards to your knife I am sorry to say that you might have a lot of trouble in determining who its original owner was with only two initials to work with. From only one casual search I was able to find a No.3 Commando veteran with the same initials. Due to the high rate of casualties there must of been many men with the same initials.

5836791 Pte Tipper W. Dorset Regt.
Wounded 5 Jul 44

As your knife is an early pattern one would assume that your man had to be one of the first men to pass the commando course.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 13/09/2009 11:57:43

Robert Wilkison Latham
Forum Member
[Avatar]

unknowncommandos wrote:First I must say I take great pleasure in creating this post. It is indeed a great honor to speak to such a distinguished gentleman.

In regards to your knife I am sorry to say that you might have a lot of trouble in determining who its original owner was with only two initials to work with. From only one casual search I was able to find a No.3 Commando veteran with the same initials. Due to the high rate of casualties there must of been many men with the same initials.

5836791 Pte Tipper W. Dorset Regt.
Wounded 5 Jul 44

As your knife is an early pattern one would assume that your man had to be one of the first men to pass the commando course.

Many thanks for your most flattering start to your post, but a big thank you for finding a possibility for WT of 3 Commando. marked on my knife.
My apologies for not answering sooner but only just back from holiday last night.
With kindest regards to all on the Forum and again many thanks for your superb research efforts.
Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/09/2009 15:16:06

Robert
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Robert, welcome to the forum.

Best of luck in your research.

Kevin

PS I'm also interested in the de-Walden trench knife and I believe that Wilkinson made a copy for the WRU.

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Robert Wilkison Latham
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Kevin wrote:Robert, welcome to the forum.

Best of luck in your research.

Kevin

PS I'm also interested in the de-Walden trench knife and I believe that Wilkinson made a copy for the WRU.

You are correct. I have in my files the scale working drawings for it's manufacture.
Robert.
If you are interested in a copy, let me know and I will find out what the local Plan Shop charges to copy them.

Robert

Robert
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Just skimming through and came across this post. Just a thought but have you considered that the owner of the knife (WT) may have been the owner of the Commando Association lapel pin and the serial number on the back of the pin could be identified by Ron Youngman at the Commando Benevolent Fund, see links for CBF for Ron's address.

Regards

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger