commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Group Photo of the whole of No1 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I have just had an exremely pleasant and useful meeting with Idris Jones who was a member of No1 Commando throughout its entire existance. Amongst the photos and documents that Idris has was an exceptional panoramic group photo of all of the members of No1. This photo was taken in Nov 1943, the original is approx 2 ft (600mm) long mounted and framed, it has obviously been professionally produced. Unfortunately due to the fact that the photo had been traditionally mounted in to the frame using brown gum paper, I was unable to remove it to take sectional shots using my scanner and laptop. Instead I had to content myself with taking a number of sectional photos of the whole group, unfortunately I don't have a SLR camera only a point and shoot type although this is a Pentax 12 megapixle model. Generally the pics have come out reasonably ok, the good news for myself is that my father is in this group, I have taken quite a few shots of this group approx 18 and I am just in the process of selecting thie best ones to make up a complete photo.
I have attached a shot of the centre of the group that contains Lt Col Trevor to give you a flavour of the photo, I will upload the entire photo in due course, maybe someone out there has got the ability to digitally stitch these together to make up one picture, just a thought?

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - Jones 55.JPG]
 Filename Jones 55.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Centre shot of group photo of No1 Commando - Nov 1943.
 Filesize 667 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  484 time(s)

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Andy

This photo was taken at Winchester Barracks prior to No 1 Cdos departure for the Far East.

I have this photo in its entirety available on disc for anybody that wants a copy including yourself...........supplied to me by Harry Winch 2 Troop N0 1 Cdo.

Just let me know.

regards
John M

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/09/2009 00:20:58

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John

I have just sent you a PM concerning this photo, and yes I would very much like a copy of this photo, the one I have put together is a bit of a Frakenstiene creation!

Many thanks Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Thanks Andy
Please see my email.
Regards
JohnM

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Andy Maines wrote:selecting thie best ones to make up a complete photo.
I will upload the entire photo in due course, maybe someone out there has got the ability to digitally stitch these together to make up one picture, just a thought?

Cheers Andy

Hi,
If anyone else finds himself with this 'problem', I have the facility to mosaic a series of photographs together to make one single panoramic photo

To make things a little easier though, take a series of photos [from the same position] working from one side to the other, ensuring an overlap of the subject between each shot.
The minimum amount of shots to cover the subject is best, but the overlap is paramount - not least because you don't want to 'chop' anyone out of the photo!

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John M sent me the photo. I have managed to scale it down and place it in the No.1 commando Gallery. Still excellent quality. Here is the link to it :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/No_1+Cdo.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

That is absolutely superb, saves me the job, to be honest I would not have known how to do this for photo of this size. I will definately be mounting and framing a copy of this to include with father's existing dispaly, I will have to buy some green matching mount board and a frame and get busy with my cutter. In case anyone is interested my father is on the second row from the back, third from the left. I can also identify the person of Eddie Fitzgerald, many of whoes documents I have uploaded on to the gallery. If you take Lt Col Trevor as a starting point and look at the second officer from his right (wearing a moustache), Eddie is the second man directly behind him, he has a LCpl stripe and is smiling. I think that I know the wearabouts of Idris Jones, but will try and confirm this.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Must agree with Andy, having seen an original at the same time, the quality is brilliant and individuals clearly identifiable.

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks must go to Harry Winch for supplying this photo, but particularly to John Mewett whom I know went to a lot of effort and cost to have this photo professionally enhanced. I hope you don't mind me saying that John. It is extremely similar in quality to the panorama photo of No.2 Commando in their gallery courtesy of Trevor Mather. Andy if you get any further names keep putting them on this message and I'll try and sort out updating the photo. For anyone printing this photo from the gallery I would just say that the quality will be good but not be as good as the original which John M has.

Thanks again to Harry and John.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
ndquick
Forum Member
[Avatar]

What a fantastic find! I can see my father on there, 4th row from the back, 9th man along!
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

Yes it is absolutely fantastic group photo, I am definately going to frame and mount this and include with my existing display frames.
I am just about to send a package of photos to Idris Jones, including some that you have uploaded on to CVA gallery. I will be providing a stamped self addressed envelope so that he can mark up any names that he may be able to remember on idividual photos and return these to me, fingers crossed!
I think that I have found your father, is his position 9th from the left?

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
ndquick
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Yes, he is Andy, 4th row down 9th from the left. Im going through photograph to see if I can recognise any others as being in the photos I've posted on the forum. Ive already spotted one or two that seem familiar.
Cheers
Nigel
Philip Bacon
Forum Member

Hi
I have the same photo. My Dad and Uncle are both in it. I belive that it was taken at Dorchester.
Philip
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi all

Andy Maines has gone to a lot of time and effort in creating a numbered copy of this excellent high resolution photo. It is now in the 1 Cdo album in a sub album with the original, and can be found on this link. Over 500 Commandos :
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/panorama/Numbered+No1+Panorama_.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

So if you know someone in it, find their number and let me know. The names will go on the numbered photo only.

Well done Andy

[Email]
ndquick
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good job Andy

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger