commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Salen, Fort William, Montrose Mountaineering school, Scotland  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
miss hartley
Forum Member

My father Richard Hartley Burton was billeted at all these places during WW2. I am trying to trace any veteran who may have known him. He was also called "Dick". Why would anyone be sent to these places, can you help me trace my fathers war record as when I applied for it it said Embarked for France - Returned England with nothing in between! yet I know he was with a family in Hamburg and was on the Maginot line and went to France at least twice!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/08/2009 21:26:52

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to the CVA. You do not say which unit your father served with prior to any special training. Does the service Record not indicate this? I know that there were some troops at the start of the war that went and served in the Maginot Line before withdrawing with the rest of the British Expeditionary Force. With regards to the places you mention, Salen is on the edge of the Sound of Mull, a stretch of water that was used for training by many different sections of the British Forces. I have seen this story from the BBC Wartime memories project about the area:
" I was a young boy growing up in the West Highland town of Tobermory on the Isle of Mull during the Second World War. I remember Tobermory bay being full of ships - mostly British frigates involved in anti submarine training. There wasn't a house in "Tob" that didn't have forces personnel staying with them. The ships' crews would come ashore for "Divisions" (Church parades) on a Sunday and also to have some R and R. The men would play football and visit one of the three canteens that had sprung up to accommodate them. There was the Women's' Guild canteen and the "dry" canteen where you could get a cup of tea or the "wet" canteen where you could get something stronger. One night Lord Lovat's team of Commandos, which was stationed in Lochaber, mounted a mock invasion on Mull as a training exercise and firecrackers and "thunder flashes" were thrown onto the ships. The Navy however thought that it was the real thing and retaliated with live ammunition and hose pipes! "Campbell Lament.
Fort William as i am sure you know is the area where Commando Training Centres were first established but also other units such as the SOE trained there. Montrose had an RAF base there and is about 2 hours from the original Braemar Mountaineering and Training School for Commandos. The very nature of some of these units meant that service records do not reflect their movements accurately, eg. no mention is made on my father's service record of him going on the St Nazaire Raid, yet it is recorded where he went to train for his part in the raid just prior to it. Did your father keep any other memorabilia from his war days. Any papers or certificates that might give a clue. Post war membership of Associations related to his war days also might help. Photos of him in uniform, etc, etc. Feel free to scan and post these on this forum if you wish. Something might give a clue that could assist someone in helping you.

Regards

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 31/08/2009 12:38:32

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete Keane
Forum Member

This is also running on the wartime training establishments page.

suggest we use one or t'other otherwise I get confused!!

Scan of service history will help.

pete

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger