commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
5 Troop No.2 Cdo photo and names  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

One of my brothers had this photo of 4 men from No.2 Commando. One I recognised from another photo of mine I had already posted. They were both taken I believe at the old Ayr Racecourse. John Stewart is on the right as you view the picture. Sadly John was killed in action at Salerno. With help from Eric Buckmaster the others are Jimmy Smith (next to John) , he believes the man alongside Jimmy is John Caveney from Paisley, and finally he thinks the 4th man is Walter Ainslie. To my surprise Eric then said "I'll send him the photo to confirm that". Walter lives in Edinburgh so I am hoping he might agree to meet me as he is so close. Walter and Jimmy are both named in my fathers note book of 5 Troop in 1943. There is a John Caveney from Paisley also in there and I believe he is identical with the Cavanagh that Eric remembers. I'll keep you posted if I get to meet Walter.

For some reason the picture is not displaying here and I cannot add or delete the photo in the forum edit option, so the following link will take you to the No.2 Cdo 5 Troop album gallery photo :
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/5+troop/No_2+at+Ayr+john+stewart.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
 Filename No.2 at Ayr john stewart.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 5 Troop No.2 Ayr Racecourse right to left: John Stewart (kia Salerno); Jimmy Smith; John Caveney; Walter Ainslie
 Filesize 104 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  4 time(s)

This message was edited 10 times. Last update was at 05/04/2013 17:38:35

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Update on 19 sept 2009. all above names confirmed by Walter Ainslie, 5 Troop No.2 Cdo.
[Thumb - No.2 at Ayr john stewart.jpg]
 Filename No.2 at Ayr john stewart.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 92 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  358 time(s)

This message was edited 12 times. Last update was at 21/09/2009 12:23:17

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger