commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Photo Library  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello All,
I was wondering if we have a Photo library, there must be many Senior Members who have photos and information, and as they probably have no access to our website this information be it written or photographic will become lost to the younger generations. Could this possibly be mentioned in the "Dispatches" as it reaches many members unable to visit the Website. Maybe we could offer a copying service by way of copying the info and returning it to the owners so not lose any of their valuble information and we could then start an archive. Just a thought. More work for the willing if it happens count me in.

Regards Ron
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Ron

You have prempted something that I was going to ask Geoff about on his return but will mention it here to ask yours and others views. I have a portable scanner with a good sized memory card and intend bringing it up to Fort William in November. My idea was to ask everyone who attends whether veterans, relatives, or serving Commandos, to try to bring along at least one photograph or document for inclusion in the gallery. Hopefully the photo will have some information included with it as to dates times places and people. Returning photos by post is time consuming and involves postal costs with the obvious chance of things getting lost. Thus I would ask people to either donate the photo, or if of special significance and they want it returned, I will scan it there and then and give them the photo back. I don't mind organising this and hopefully others could help and we would obviously have to keep records as to who provides what so to speak. If members want this to happen, it would be up to everyone to spread the word to those veterans and others who do not have access to computers to tell them about this and encourage them to do so.

So lets hear your views on whether you think this is a practicable idea.

** Update on this I do not think the portable scanner I have is going to be suitable. Not for photos anyhow. Any other suggestions. Perhaps we could seek to use the hotels scanners and scan onto memory cards or sticks. ****

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 13/08/2009 01:01:36

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great idea and I'm more than happy to digitally 'repair & restore' any images that may need it.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I totally agree with the idea! If you don't get your hands on photos or other information now, it will will be lost.

Besides the photos, would it be an idea of putting the stories of some "old hands" to film? Last year there was a exhibition on the Dutch Commandos in the Army Museum in Delft. For that exhibition interviews were made with some "seniors" about their time in the Commandos. Visitors to the exhibition could watch those inteviews on TV screens. Those tapes are now in the possesion of the Dutch Commando Museum. They are invaluable! It will of course take time making the film and of course the question will arise of whom to film and who not, but there you are. Perhaps an idea for the family of old Commandos to do something like that?
What I am saying is: now that they are still with us, every opportunity must be taken to preserve their stories and history. In a few years it will be too late. Sad, but true!
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Everyone

This idea of phto's is a very fertile one indeed and one which should be pursued further.

I think with all the owners permission we (the CVA) could produce a photographic book and publish it with all profits going to the memorial fund or some other agreed cause.

Working title. 'Commando Album'

This I am sure would be very popular with members/ families and the general public at large.

All it would need is an editor to commit the time.

Perhaps an agenda topic could be raised on this and discussed for consideration at the AGM Fort William this year.

I would be pleased to put it to the meeting on whoevers behalf who would like to carry it forward.

Best regards
John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Sounds like a good idea John. Happy to try out the editing bit. Now we just have to spread the word to veterans, families, members, friends, who are attending Spean Bridge this year to bring a photo of a Commando, be they Army, Royal Marine, WW2, or post war, etc. I have phoned Jo Vose who is with the Warrington branch to pass it on. I'll also let Eric Buckmaster know as he has a good list of contacts. Many of them as Ron, who suggested the idea, said " probably have no access to our website" so its going to involve word of mouth and hopefully a mention in Despatches if there is one due out before November. I think for practicality and cost reasons people will have to be asked to donate the their photo or information and this should be made clear. If they want to retain it then perhaps a friend or family member can get it copied for them before November. The photos donated could then be scanned and entered in the gallery at a later date, the photos themselves being finally stored as John M suggests. Nick has offered to create a template for a form that can be filled in by people donating the photos, and this could include the permission for use as John M. suggests, as well as details of the person/s in the photo and any other details. A short and to the point form. We could have representatives at each of the hotels designated to collect the photos. Just some ideas here which I hope others might contribute to.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Tarnia Townshend
Forum Member

Hi
I am Sylvie Townshend's (Treasurer of the London Branch of the CVA) daughter. I have shared your comments with her on this forum and she will mention photographs and documents at their next meeting. I have said that if she wants to collect items from her branch I am happy to scan them in at work and mum could then return them at the next meeting. Could other branches maybe do this too?
Just a thought.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Excellent idea Tarnia and thanks for offering the support. I have sent you a private message re this

Regards

[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger