commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Fred Walker and John White No.3 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

A short 5 minute film for the National Lottery Channel, "National Lottery Xtra" is in the process of being edited for transmission. Recently they travelled to France with John White and Fred Walker of No 3 Commando to celebrate the 65th Anniversary of the D Day landings. A number of the veterans this year benefitted from the "Heroes Return To" programme, where the Lottery helped fund their trips back to where they saw action. I will let you know if I hear the date for national transmission. They were most interested in the 2 photos of 4 Troop No.3 Commando in our gallery originally posted by Stephane and hopefully those will be displayed as part of the programme.
Coincidentally Eric Buckmaster has given me some details regarding one of the photos which I copy here for you all, the picture reproduced below:
"With regard to the second picture where 4 Troop are standing on the rubble of buildings, did you know that that was taken just before D Day in Limehouse,East End of London. The London Blitz started at the beginning of Sept 1940. Initially theGermans were dropping only Percussion Bombs, and Incendiary Bombs. These screamed at you as they came down. However subsequently they used Parachute Mines which came down silently, and exploded above ground. Obviously they caused severe immediate damage where they landed, but they also took out the windows and doors of Row after Row of Terraced Houses. in the closely packed streets around London Dockland. The Government moved in an army of Building Workmen to carry out repairs on those houses that could be made habitable again. Often two & three times over. However, 3 Commando were using the Limehouse Area of Damaged Buildings to practise street fighting. Which was a very good oportunity. "
[Thumb - revised 3_Commando_4_Troop 1944.jpg]
 Filename revised 3_Commando_4_Troop 1944.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 477 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  427 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/08/2009 15:50:08

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

what a fantastic photo. hard core the lot of them. Do we know any of them?

SE Donnison
[MSN]
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

Yes Stephen, I've several names about this photo, but need to find my archives.
Because since I move last year, all documents are in boxes.
sincerely

stéphane

ps) I was with Fred and Jim last june. It was a great time when we were on F. ROBBINS (KIA August 44) grave. With daughter Gabrielle.
F. ROBBINS died in Jimmy's arms.

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger