commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
spaniards in 50 middle east commando, layforce, 1SS regiment and 2nd sas  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
cheekyphil
Forum Member

my grandfather francisco geronimo ( frank williams) served in all four of these units and I am currently trying to expand my knowledge of him and the other spaniards who were with him. I am currently in touch with a few of their relatives and have information on some and nothing on others. anyone with any info would be of great help.

rundown on frank

spanish civil war 36-39
6th RE french foreign legion 39-40
50 ME Com 40-41
captured and evaded capture crete and escape via sub 41-42
1SSReg 41-42
sas 42-45

anyone with sas after action reports would be of great use. ( the only two for ops he was efinatly on so far are trueform and tombola )

phil
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

wow Phil what a book he couldve written!

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Phil

Welcome to the CVA...do you know which section of the SAS he went into? Also have you read the book "The Middle East Commandos" by Charles Messenger. There used to be a group of former veterans called the Middle East Commando Historical Research Group but whether it is still in existence today I do not know. Finally do you have any pictures of your grandfather you would like to post in our Middle East Commandos albums. If you are unsure as to how to do this send me a private message and I can assist you in this

Regards

updated: I now see from another message that you have read the above book.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 09/07/2009 08:31:18

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
cheekyphil
Forum Member

I have found out a lot in the last couple of years about the basics as he mentioned nothing really while he was alive. most of it I worked out from simple deduction and his file.

trying to find out more detail now. should I find out enough I may write a book on him but its just the fact that he has passed and so have many of the others. middle east research I know of but assume it no longer exsists ( files are supposed to be at army museum london).

one thing I really need help with is that frank escaped crete with a british officer by sub in 1942 around june. I am trying to find that officer. any one have any ideas. I have eliminated a few but even names of officers taken off crete after the battle are useful for elimination purposes.

phil

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger